Saturday, July 18, 2009

Oak Tree-Revisiting the image


While I enjoyed the "unreal" presentation of the original "Oak Tree Canopy", there were two items that continually gnawed at me. One was that the midtones were just too MIDTONED! So I applied another curve to the image to raise the mid and upper tones a bit on the scale. The second bother was that the image looked too "squatty." It simply looked compressed. So I elongated the image with the transform tool in PS and I like the aspect ratio much better now. Since I make no bones about manipulating images, this image is certainly no attempt at representing "reality." I will address the reality of photography off and on in this blog, but as you may have guessed, the camera is certainly not a truth-teller. I hope you enjoy the discussion of the revisit and have a great day.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Interesting image of live oaks...regards your thoughts about the midtones, IMHO the image could benefit from accentuating the highs and lows for depth. Although the primarily midrange tones do give it a bit of an etching or engraving quality. Anyway because I can't leave anything well enough alone I took your image and played around with it. In one I basically overexposed it, and in the other I enriched the black and upped the contrast. Your photo is a very interesting image and one definitely could have a lot of fun with it.
Image 1


Image 2